Cherry and coconut filling coated in dark chocolate atop a cocoa biscuit base. It’s everything you love about a Cherry Ripe bar in gluten free baked form! Get out a cold glass of milk and put your feet up with a slice of this delight by your side!Cherry ripes were not one of my favourite chocolate bars as a little kid, but when I got to high school I took a liking to them. There’s something a little naughty sweet about the sweet cherry coconut filling coated in dark chocolate. It’s the perfect chocolate bar for a teenage girl. And it’s actually one of the oldest chocolate bars sold in Australia! There’s your Random Australian Fact for the day. This slice is just like a cherry ripe bar met a biscuit and they became friends. Delicious, delicious friends. These bars start off with a very simple biscuit base that is pressed into a tin and partially baked. Then you chop up pretty pink glace cherries and mix them together with sweet condensed milk, and shredded and dessicated coconut and bake it for a little while until the condensed milk caramelises slightly on top. Once this naked cherry ripe bar (ooh) has cooled the bar is topped with molten semi-sweet chocolate. Just look at those swirls.I could not get enough of this slice. I loved the not-so-sweet biscuit topped with the sweet and sticky cherry-coconut filling and the deeply dark chocolate coating. Paired with a cold glass of almond milk this is the afternoon delight I would choose after a long sticky summer run. This would also be the perfect treat for boardgame night. It’s a little more of a grown-up’s treat than a treat for kids given the dark chocolate and it’s just so moreish. Give yourself a treat this weekend and leave the mini chocolate bars for the kids. I know I’ll be sneaking a few slices while I’m scaring little trick-or-treaters!
Cherry Ripe Slice
Gluten Free | Makes 16 squares
For the base
- 125 grams butter, softened
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 large egg
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 80 grams buckwheat flour
- 40 grams brown rice flour
- 40 grams white rice flour
For the filling
- 200 grams glace cherries
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
For the topping
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 160C (320F) and line an 8-inch square baking tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl beat together softened butter, caster sugar, and vanilla essence until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well.
- In a small bowl whisk together cocoa powder, buckwheat flour, white rice flour and brown rice flour.
- Add flours to wet ingredients and mix until well combined into a sticky dough. Place dough into the lined baking dish and use the back of a spoon to press the mixture into the tin. Ensure it is as level as possible.
- Bake base in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Then remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Use a small food processor to finely chop glace cherries.
- Place cherries, condensed milk, and both coconuts and mix well.
- Spread filling over the base evenly.
- Bake filling for 20 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before topping with chocolate.
- Chop dark chocolate roughly and place in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second bursts, stirring well with a metal spoon between microwave bursts until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Spread melted chocolate over the cooled slice.
- Chill until chocolate is completely set and then use a very sharp knife to cut into squares.