Spicing up weekday meals is easy with these Spicy Chickpea Tacos. Filled with chickpeas, sundried tomatoes, capsicum and onion and finished with a lime and coriander spiked guacamole, these prove that everyday food can be super special too.Our house is filled with half-stuffed boxes, Mum and Dad have more boxes ready for me at their house, I have lists upon lists in every conceivable place, and our keys are probably being cut right this moment! That’s right! We are almost on the move! Thank you all so much for listening to me get excited about the events of the next few weeks for the last eighteen months. Thank you for coming along for the ride, and all the encouragement you have given us along the way. There is always a spare seat at the table.Of course, getting prepared to move – and filling in all the paper work – no one warned me about all the paperwork! And having marathon meeting days at the office leaves very little time for thinking about dinner. I am happy with salad most nights when I have been busy, but there are nights when I want my leaves wrapped in a corn taco, my chickpeas seasoned heavily with spices, and a big dollop of creamy, coriander and lime scented guacamole right on top. These tacos are essentially one of my favourite salads wrapped up in a gluten free corn taco for easy handheld convenience – no fork necessary, which is a good thing because I think they’re next on the packing list!Not only are these tacos super easy to eat, they are a snap to prepare and super healthy! You can have these on the dinner table in under 30 minutes, which makes them perfect for quick weeknight meals. These gluten free, vegan tacos are packed with lean protein (chickpeas), heaps of veggies, and healthy fats (avocado) these are a healthy fast food option for when you want dinner on the pronto without sacrificing your healthy eating goals. Let’s review: easy to eat, easy to make, packed with healthy ingredients. Oh and what about flavour?We start with a plain corn taco. Not much to see here, but a great foundation for layering our flavours onto. Add some fresh, crispy lettuce. I used baby cos – bright, green, and crunchy! We sauté canned chickpeas with capsicum, spring onions, garlic, sundried tomatoes, chilli flakes, cumin, and paprika – this chickpea is filled with the best savoury and spicy flavours! And the crowning glory of this flavour creation: creamy avocados, whipped with garden fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime juice. These tacos might be simple, but they hit every flavour and texture note required for true satisfaction: crispy, creamy, salty, savoury, sweet. My Spicy Chickpea Tacos with Coriander Guacamole have it all!
Spicy Chickpea Tacos with Coriander Guacamole
Gluten Free | Vegan | Serves 2
Note: I served mine with some grated cheese. If you are vegan, leave this out or use your favourite ‘cheese’ product.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 400 gram can chickpeas, rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 medium red capsicum, diced into small pieces
- 2 spring onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup (packed) coriander leaves
- Juice 1 lime
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 small (6 inch) soft corn tacos, heated
- 1 small baby cos (or other crispy green salad leaves)
- Grated cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add capsicum and garlic and saute until capsicum is softened.
- Add chickpeas, spring onions, sundried tomatoes, paprika, cumin, and chilli flakes (if using). Cook, stirring, until chickpeas are warmed through.
- While chickpeas are cooking, make guacamole. Place avocado, coriander, lime juice, and onion into a small food processor and process until avocado is mostly smooth. I leave a few chunks for interesting texture. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place a taco on your plate, top with lettuce, chickpea mixture, guacamole, and cheese (if using).