Have you ever had one of those nights where you end up talking to friends for so long over a glass of wine that you don’t get to eating dinner until 10pm? A night where the conversation flows like the wine and you realise that the new addition to the group fits in perfectly and you just want to keep talking and getting to know them? On Saturday night Chris and I met the new girlfriend of one of Chris’s cousins – she fit into our quirky little group perfectly and it was kind of nice to have another girl at the table.
Despite the chilly spring night we rugged up in cardigans and sat out on the verandah talking for hours. There were grilled steaks and sausages for the omnivores, and as my contribution I brought along two side salads. I find that it eases my anxiety over my food requirements if I contribute one or two things to the dinner table that I can eat, and everyone else can enjoy as well.
This pasta salad dismisses the traditional gluggy, mayo-heavy, soggy, monochrome pasta salad. It’s nearly summer people! I want colour, texture, vibrancy, flavour in my pasta salad. I want something that holds it’s own at the table with a bit of spicy bite that displays some of the best produce of summertime. In Spicy Corn and Capsicum Pasta Salad the pasta plays a supporting role to the bright raw veggies who take centre stage. The fresh sweetcorn is cut straight from the cob and mixed with jewel-bright capsicum, enticing coriander, and a spiced olive oil dressing.
This salad is your perfect summertime side: you can make it ahead of time, once the past is cooked everything comes together super quick so fabulous flavour doesn’t have to mean hours spent in the kitchen, and it lasts well in the refrigerator so leftovers are perfect for lunch or dinner the next day! Say hello to your time-saving summer meal for any occasion, from barbecues to quick after work family dinners. And with all that time saved you have more time to spend talking to friends old and new!
Spicy Corn and Capsicum Pasta Salad
Serves 6-8 | Vegan | Gluten Free | Leftovers will last in the fridge for 2-3 days
Adapted from ‘Spicy Corn, Tomato, Avocado Salad’ on Shutterbean
Note: If you do not require this to be gluten free you can use wheat pasta instead of gluten free pasta.
- 340 grams (~12 oz) dried medium-shape pasta (I used Heinz Gluten Free Mini Rigatoni)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 large lemon (~3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red capsicum
- 3 cobs fresh sweet corn, shucked
- 3 green (spring) onions
- Large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Cook pasta until al dente according to packet instructions. This seems like a lazy recipe instruction, but each pasta brand/type will vary. Once cooked, drain, rinse and allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the pasta is cooking whisk together garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil. Set aside until needed.
- Core capsicum, discard centre, top and seeds, and then dice capsicum into ~1cm cubes. Place in a large bowl.
- Cut kernels off corn cobs and place kernels in bowl with capsicum.
- Thinly slice the white and light green parts of the green onions and place in bowl too.
- Add cooked and cooled pasta and dressing to bowl and toss thoroughly.
- Finish by tossing fresh coriander through the pasta salad.