Mondays are hard, Tuesdays are harder. Monday has already worn you out and reminded you that four more of its brothers and sisters follow it before the blessed relief of the weekend.
Tuesdays are hard because on Monday you were still trying to get over the weekend’s activities (which reminded you that you aren’t 21 anymore) and only an intravenous caffeine drip is going to help you now.
But Tuesdays don’t have to be so daunting. Coax a little chocolate and sugar into a miraculous form and with one bite you will forget about deadlines, grocery store lines, and panty lines. All is good when chocolate comes knocking. Oh, and there’s espresso in here too, so you’ve got your coffee bases covered.
I first started fantasising about these cookies when I saw them on Shutterbean. I’ve taken Tracy’s amazing recipe for Flourless Coconut Drops and added my own Thoroughly Nourished Life tweaks: namely coffee and hazelnuts.
You are going to love these Espresso Hazelnut Flourless Chocolate Cookies because as amazingly decadent as they taste and sound they are extremely easy to make and even easier to eat. The finished cookies are like a cross between an ultra chewy meringue and the most chocolaty cookie you can imagine. Like a brownie playing dress-ups as a macaroon. You can fancy them up for dessert (I served them with ice cream at a dinner party recently) or you can wrap them up for a lunchbox treat. Or, you can nibble them while reading something that sweeps you far away from your Tuesday blues.
They are people-pleasers for certain, and they are gluten free too – just make sure the icing sugar you use is gluten free. They will last in the fridge (in the hot weather) for three to four days, but lets be honest, do you really think you’ll be able to keep your hand out of the cookie jar?
(I didn’t think so!)
Espresso Hazelnut Flourless Chocolate Cookies (gluten free)
Adapted from the ever-so-lovely Tracy Shutterbean’s Flourless Coconut Chocolate Drops.
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, chopped
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 160C (325F) and line three baking sheets with baking paper.
- In a large deep mixing bowl sift together icing sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Ensure that they are fully combined and there are no streaks of cocoa or icing sugar.
- Mix in chocolate chips and hazelnuts until well combined.
- In a separate bowl briefly stir together egg whites, coffee powder, and vanilla just until coffee is dissolved and the liquid is a uniform colour.
- Add egg whites to icing sugar mixture and stir until just combined.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of mixture onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave room for spreading.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. The tops will look dry and shiny. Allow to cool completely.
- Eat as they are or dress them up with your favourite flavour of ice cream!