There are many codes I live by. Don’t wear pink and red together. Always put salt and pepper on avocado. Butter is best. Keep a bar of dark chocolate in the bottom drawer of the kitchen just in case you encounter a day ending in ‘y’. More books is always better than less books (the same goes for sneakers). Tell those closest to your heart just how much you love them everyday. Always pack that extra pair of unmentionables when you are travelling.
And then there is one from one of the cooking goddesses herself, Julia Child: ‘A party without cake is just a meeting.’
Yes Julia, yes. Make these cookies my friend and take them to work. Watch your team meeting transform into a tea party. See the sugar-induced smile on your boss’s face. If you don’t have an office (like me at the moment) send them to work with your loved one – trust me.
Mandarin Cream Cheese Sandwich Cookies
This recipe makes about 27 cookie sandwiches.
- 335g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla essence in a large bowl until fluffy.
- In a medium bowl whisk together plain flour and rice flour.
- Add flour mixture to butter and sugar and mix until it forms a shaggy dough. Tip this mixture out onto a lightly floured bench and knead until it comes together and forms a soft dough.
- Divide this dough into two portions and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line two large cookie sheets with baking paper.
- Roll dough out to 5mm-7mm thickness (0.2-0.3 inches) with a floured rolling pin.
- Cut the dough into round shapes with a 4cm fluted cookie cutter – or your shape of choice (love hearts would work well here too).
- Place each cut out onto a lined cookie sheet. Leave about 2cm between each cookie to allow for spreading.
- Repeat using all the dough. You may need to line a few more cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden. Remove from the oven and cool the cookies on a wire rack.
- Once cookies are completely cool make the mandarin cream cheese.
Mandarin Cream Cheese Frosting
- 125g full fat cream cheese at room temperature
- Finely grated rind of two mandarins
- Juice of two mandarins
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add some more icing sugar if the frosting is not keeping its shape.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe approximately one tablespoon of frosting onto half the cookies. Sandwich the plain cookies on top twisting them a little to secure them.